A short history of banana bread
The surprise ingredient (not bananas) that started it all
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 large overripe bananas
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup White sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup buttermilk
- Grease and line an 9 inch round cake tin with baking or parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- In a large bowl, add plain flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, peel and mash the bananas well.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugars and beat with an electric mixer for a a couple of minutes until pale and creamy. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating until combined.
- Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, along with buttermilk and the mashed banana. Gently beat until just combined. Then add remaining dry ingredients.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.