I have been craving Pho for days!!! Now some of you may be wondering how to pronounce this amazing dish,”Pho” or “fuh”??? Pho is pronounced “fuh,” no matter how you slice it. This dish is perfect for all occasions and it will simply warm up your soul & tummy!! I did not have all the ingredients for an 100% authentic beef pho but I did with what I could find! #quarantine.
Prep : 30 mins /Cook:6-10h/ Total : 10h30 mins
Servings : 4-6
The Broth: 2 pounds beef soup bones
2 large onions, split in half
1/2 large hand ginger or to taste
1 pound beef brisket/ribs
2 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/4 cup fish sauce, plus more to taste
salt and lemon pepper
8 tsp concentrated beef broth
6 to 8 servings pho noodles
1 pound beef flank steak, sliced thinly against the grain
2 to 3 cups mixed herbs (cilantro, basil, and mint)
2 to 3 cups trimmed bean sprouts
1/2 cup sliced scallions
Thinly sliced Thai chilis
2 limes, each cut into 4 wedges
Hoisin sauce and Sriracha
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Rince the bones in salted cold water then place on oven tray lined with parchment paper.
- Place beef bones on a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven until browned, about 1 hour.
- Place onion on a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven until blackened and soft, about 45 minutes.
- Place bones, onion, ginger, salt, star anise, and fish sauce in a large stockpot and cover with 20 cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer on low for 6-18 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F when the broth had been cooking on low for roughly 4h hours
- Season 1/2 pound of beef ribs or 1/2 pound beef brisket and toss onto a baking sheet.
- Bake the beef until browned, 20-30 mins, then add to pot with 3 cups of water then keep cooking on low for the remaining 2-4 hours.
- Slowly strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer set over a large pot. Skim and discard the fat from the broth, add more seasoning to taste then set aides
- Place rice noodles in large bowl filled with room temperature water and allow to soak for 1 hour. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and after the noodles have soaked, place them in the boiling water for 1 minute. Bring stock to a simmer.
- Divide noodles among 4 serving bowls; top with sirloin, cilantro, and green onion. Pour hot broth over the top.
- Stir and let sit until the beef is partially cooked and no longer pink, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve with bean sprouts, lime wedges, hoisin sauce, and chile-garlic sauce on the side.
Haven’t seen enough? Much more details in my highlights!!! Simply click on the link below for step by steps !