Did you know that coffee cake doesn’t actually contain any coffee!!! and for all coffee lovers like myself, I think this is a darn shame. This recipe will give you the option to make my standard Coffee Cake mix but also gives you the option too add some espresso goodness!!
Super easy and fun to make and you will be very happy to have these yummy muffins for breakfast and dessert.
Prep : 20 mins /Cook: 20 mins/ Total : 40 mins
Servings : 12-14 cupcakes
Cinnamon Crumb Topping:
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
For the Glaze:
1 cup icing sugar
2 to 3 Tablespoons milk/cream/buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
2.5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tsp teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk or cream(10%-35%)
1/2 Cup of strong brewed espresso (for that espresso kick)
For the Buttery Crumb Topping:
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the melted butter, mixing just until combined. Set aside while you prepare the rest of the recipe.* The mixture will absorb the butter as it sits and become more crumbly by the time you’re ready to use it.
For the Muffins:
- Preheat oven to 400°F . Line a 12 +2 cup muffin tin with paper liners and set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl using a handheld electric mixer, combine the butter and both sugars and beat on medium-low speed until light and fluffy; about 3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs and yolk, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Slowly beat in the vanilla, buttermilk/cream and *espresso (optional).
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add in the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. (Do not over mix)
- Scoop a large spoonful of batter into each prepared muffin cup and fill up to the 2/3 of the cup.
- Sprinkle the buttery crumble topping and press gently to make sure it doesn’t fall during baking.
- Bake the muffins for 20 mins , let cool completely
For the Glaze:
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, buttermilk, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Add more confectioners’ sugar to thicken or more buttermilk to thin then drizzle it on top of the muffins to taste.
Haven’t seen enough? Much more details in my highlights!!! Simply click on the link below for step by steps !