Prep : 45 mins / Chill: 30 mins / Cook : 20 / Total: 1h35
Servings : 4-6 (25 Raviolis)
Since the raviolis are meatless, I went with a meat tomato sauce since we love meat (I promise I will become vegetarian/vegan one day)
New pasta machine alert!!! I have been waiting to make raviolis since I got my pasta machine!!! Trust me making raviolis without is A LOT of arm work, and to be honest super long! It is of course possible, I made raviolis many times without, but the pasta machine is a game changer!!
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 tsp salt
2 eggs, plus 1 for the egg wash
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 frozen chopped spinach (Fresh works also)
2 tsp Epis seasoning
1 tsp lemon pepper
Salt/pepper to taste
1 tsp Cajun
3 tbsp red onion, chopped fine
1 large egg
Tomato Meat Sauce
1/4-pound ground beef
1/2 Red onion, chopped
1/2 Yellow onion, chopped
1 Jalapeno, chopped
2 Shallot, chopped
Leftover ricotta mix
3 tbsp Epis seasoning
Black pepper mix
All purpose seasoning mix
1/2 Canned diced tomatoes
2 tbsp Canned Tomato paste
1 Canned Tomato sauce
- The dough: In a large bowl whisk together the flour and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and add in the eggs all at once.
- Mix them together well using your hands gradually add the water.
- Add the olive oil and knead the dough for 5 minutes.
- Form into a ball and leave in the bowl on the counter, covered with plastic wrap for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the filling: Mix all ingredients together until will combined and then cover let sit in the fridge until needed.
- Rolling the dough: When the dough has chilled for 30 minutes take a piece of the dough and run it through a pasta machine a few times.
- Each time fold the dough in half, I normal start at a higher thickness level to get the dough ready for number 1 (Super thin). Ravioli dough should be thin (See images)
- The raviolis: Once you have a few long rectangle (Keep in mind you will need a top and bottom, see images), place 1 tsp on the ricotta mix on the dough at 2 inches from each other.
Add the top layer of dough and lightly press the sides of the raviolis so they do not open up while cooking.
- With a cookie cutter or any round object that has the shape you want the raviolis to be, cut out the raviolis and place them on a cookie tray covered with parchment paper.
You may need to reroll the dough to be able to make more raviolis.
- Freeze the raviolis at least 30 minutes or when ready to cook.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, add the raviolis to the pot and when they start to float, they are ready. 4-8 minutes.
- For the tomato meat sauce: Heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large pot on medium/high heat.
- Add the tomato paste, chopped veggies and remaining filling if any, cook until browned, 2-4 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and all the spices ad cook until meat is also browned and well combined.
- Add the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, continue to cook on medium/ low heat.
- Add the raviolis to the sauce and cook on low for a few minutes.
Remove from the heat, ready to serve!!