A simple Cake Box mix can really come in handy when you are low on time, lazy of both!! Super easy to upgrade in to amazing cakes or cupcakes. Today I went with pinata cupcakes because I felt like it and they are sooo pretyyyyy!!!!
Prep : mins 25 / Cook : 19 mins Total: 44 mins
Servings : 18 – 24 cupcakes
1 White or Vanilla box cake mix
3 large eggs
1 1/4 Milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp vanilla or almond extract
Red Food coloring optional
Fresh strawberries to fill the cup cakes
2 tbsp white sugar
1 pack cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup whipping cream (35%)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Add the box mix, oil, milk and eggs then mix very well (hand mixers are great for this)
- Add the vanilla extract
- If you want to add color it is the time , add 1-2 drops of food dye to the batter and mix well.
- Add the batter into your prepared muffin tin, filling each liner 2/3-3/4 of the way full (do NOT overfill) and bake for 14-19 minutes or until the dome have risen and full.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before continuing.
- Cut the strawberries into very small chunks, add to a bowl then combien with sugar and set asides until needed.
- Once cupcakes have cooled completely, use a knife to cut a hole about 1″ in diameter and 1″ deep into the center of each cupcake.
- I carve a hole using the knife and gently lift out the center.
- Cut the bottom off of each insert and set aside the top, which will serve as the plug for your cupcakes.
- Fill each carved hole with the prepared strawberry filling (about 1-2 Tbsp), filling just below the brim of the cupcake.
- Top with your cupcake plug and gently press down.
In medium bowl, Cream cheese and butter with spoon or electric mixer on low speed. Stir in vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the cream then mix in the powdered sugar.
Gradually beat in just enough remaining cream to make frosting smooth and spreadable. If frosting is too thick, beat in more cream, a few drops at a time. If frosting becomes too thin, beat in a small amount of powdered sugar, Top cupcakes with frosting.