These warm buttery pieces of bread went SOOO well with my Red Thai curry!! (See images below)
Prep : 1h20 mins / Cook : 4-6 per naan bread/ Total : 2h
Serving : 8 pieces
1/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm milk
3/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 melted butter, for brushing
2 tbsp epis seasoning or 4 cloves minced garlic
1 shallot or Fresh cilantro, to top
- Combine the yeast, sugar, and water and let sit until very foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the flour and salt together in a large bowl and create a well in the center.
- Whisk in the warm milk and sour cream into the yeast mixture until well-combined. add into the well in the dry ingredients.
- Stir until a dough is formed, then knead on a floured surface until smooth, about 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic or a damp kitchen towel.
- Let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 30 mins-1 hour. (This is my fav part!!)
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead briefly into a disc shape and cut the dough into equal-sized pieces (8-12). Roll each piece into a ball.
- Add the minced garlic to the remaining melted butter. add to the microwave for 15 seconds set aide.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Roll each dough ball out until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Brush the dough with butter and place one at a time onto the hot skillet.
- Cook until large bubbles form on the surface, about 2 minutes. Flip the dough and cook the other side until golden, about 1-2 more minutes.
- Stack the cooked flat bread on a plate and cover with a towel to keep warm as you cook the remaining pieces.
- Brush the warm naan with the garlic butter and the chopped shallot or cilantro. Serve it hot!