Korean Egg rolls with a Chinese salad was the perfect combination!!
The best part is these Korean beef egg rolls are different. They aren’t normal spring rolls or egg rolls. They are sweet and gingery and have a soft center with the carrots.
Prep : 30 mins / Chill :30 mins/ Cook : 10 mins Total: 1h10
Servings : 15 egg rolls
Egg roll filling:
1/2 pound lean ground beef
2 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 jalapeno, chopped
1 tbsp lemon pepper
2 tbsp of epis seasoning or 3 cloves garlic , minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger , minced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup lite soy sauce
2 Tbsp Sriracha (use less if you don’t like spice!)
Red Cabbage, chopped
2 Carrots , cut into matchsticks
oil , for frying
Egg roll wraps:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup ice-cold water
1 large egg
1 teaspoon salt
*Sweet and spicy sauce for dipping (Optional)
Quick Chinese Salad:
1/4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
1/2 cup red cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup cabbage, shredded
1/3 cup carrots, grated
Tortilla strips (Chili and lime flavor)
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 tsp soy sauce
- The wrappers:
Mix the flour, 1/4 cup ice-cold water, egg, and salt in a large bowl.Add up to 1/4 cup more ice water, if needed, to make a sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Let the dough rest for 30 minutes, then knead it briefly. (Prepare the filling during this time)
- Cut the dough ball in half and wrap 1 dough ball in plastic to avoid it to dry out.
- Turn the other half out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out thinly. Cut out squares measuring roughly 3.5 inches. (Roll the scraps again if necessary, and repeat with remaining dough ball.)
- Stack the wrappers by lightly dusting with flour between them to prevent sticking.
- The filling: Heat a large pan over medium high heat.
- Brown the meat with sesame oil, garlic and ginger.
- Drain 75% of the fat, add brown sugar, soy sauce , Sriracha and the remaining spices.
- Cook until the liquid has reabsorbed and the meat is shiny but not soupy.
- Remove meat from pan and let cool completely before using.
- Assembling & frying the egg rolls: Lay out your egg roll wrappers in a diamond shape.
- Add 1 tbsp of meat , then add the cabbage and carrot sticks.
- Wet the sides with water using your finger.
- Fold the sides in and wet the folded in sides.
- Roll closed like a burrito and set aside until you finish all 15
- Fry with vegetable oil in a wok on medium heat (350 F degree / 370 F degree )
- Fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown!
- For the salad simply combine all ingredients.