Chicken Pot Pot or also known as simply chicken pie, is by far one of my favorite comfort dishes. But have you ever tried Chicken pot pie with biscuits on top???? I don’t think so. You will love this recipe on a nice fall evening, a cold winter nice or basically anytime!
Prep : 30 mins / Cook : 1h mins / Total : 1h30
Chicken pot pie filling:
4 tbsp Olive oil
4 cups cooked shredded chicken
3 tbsp concentrated chicken broth or leftover chicken broth from cooked chicken
1 large red onion, diced
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 large potatoes , small cubes
3 celery branches, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
5-6 large mushrooms, chopped
1.5 cup frozen carrots and peas
3 tbsp lemon pepper
3 tbsp Caribbean garlic spices
1 tbsp salt
1 cup cooking cream (15%)
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup water
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter very cold
3/4 cup buttermilk or whole milk
2 cups shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF
- Make the filling: Add oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, add the garlic, onions, celery let cook for 2-3 minutes then add the chicken broth.
- Add in the remaining vegetables, the shredded chicken and then start adding the spices. Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in the milk, cream and water then continue to cook until the filling is bubbling and the liquid has thickened slightly, 7-10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the filling in to a medium rectangular pie dish and set aside.
- Make the biscuits: Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Remove your butter very cold from the refrigerator/freezer and either cut it into your flour mixture.
- Add buttermilk, use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir until combined (don’t over-work the dough).
- Transfer your biscuit dough to a well-floured surface and use your hands to gently work the dough together. If the dough is too sticky, add flour until it is manageable.
NO ROLLING PINS!!
- Once the dough is well combined and there is no more dry parts , fold in half over itself and use your hands to gently flatten layers together. Rotate the dough 90 degrees and fold in half again, repeating this step 5-6 times but taking care to not overwork the dough.
- With a round object or cookie cutter the size of your choice cut out biscuits.
- Place the biscuit on top of the chicken pot pie filling.
- Bake the pie for 30-40 minutes or until the biscuit are golden.
- In the last 10 minutes add the shredded cheese on top and let melt.